The National Park Service announced its 2011 schedule of entrance-fee-free days Tuesday:
- Jan. 15-17 (Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday weekend)
- April 16-24 (National Park Week)
- June 21 (first day of summer)
- Sept. 24 (Public Lands Day)
- Nov. 11-13 (Veterans Day weekend)
Parks that ordinarily change entrance fees will wave visitors through their gates on the dates above. Just keep in mind: While entrance fees are waived on the dates mentioned, other fees (such as camping, tours, concession, reservations) remain in place.
After offering 3 fee-free summer weekends in 2009 and 2 last year, June 21 is the lone summer freebie on the 2011 schedule. Still, any no-entrance-fee day is a nice treat.