This year’s Bourbon City Challenge Adventure Race in Bardstown, Ky., Sept. 14, 2008 begins Sunday at 9 a.m. at the Bardstown-Nelson County Airport on U.S. 62 just a mile west of Bardstown.
Notes about the race
1. Anyone Training on the lake prior to race day needs a $10 boat permit. This does not include trail running or biking on the road. There is no permit needed on race day.
2. Anyone planning to rent a canoe or kayak, needs to contact Central Ky. Canoe and Kayak’s Mike Hammons at (502) 345-9220 or (502) 507-9364 to reserve a boat. We’re trying to have numbers coincide with racers to ensure all people get a canoe or kayak as they intend. The rental boats are $20.
3. The event goes rain or shine. No exceptions. This is an adventure race, so we’ll not quit for weather. (as those who entered last year’s race know, a little rain can actually improve conditions and the mud makes for a great photo op!)
4. Please arrive early to give yourself plenty of time to station your bikes, boats and teammates at transition areas. Both Bike and Boat Transition areas are on Ben Irvin Road on the back side of Sympson Lake. Attached is a map of the bike and boat course (The trail has changed since this map was made) The map details the bike transition area. The boat transition area is the boat ramp at Sympson lake. Please position your boat on the shore on the left side of the concrete boat ramp. The concrete ramp needs to be clear as much as possible.
5. We have a lot of return racers from last year’s event and that says to me we did a pretty good job last year! Hopefully this year, racers will be even more impressed.